What Do All the Different Symbols on Your Oven Mean?
To be able to make the most out of your oven, it helps to know what all the different symbols on your oven mean – this allows you to get the best cooking and baking results. Most ovens tend to use similar symbols, so when you’ve taken the time to understand these, you’ll have no problem navigating your way through any oven you come across.
6 Different Oven Symbols & Their Meanings
Low heat element only
- This symbol features a single horizontal line at the bottom of the square. It means that heat will come solely from the bottom of the oven; a fan will not be used to circulate the heat.
Great for cooking stews and casserole dishes as well as crisping the base of a pizza or pastry.
Upper and lower heating elements
- This symbol has two horizontal lines, one at the top and one at the bottom of the square. It means that heat will come from the top and bottom of the oven. The fan doesn’t come on for this setting, but heat spreads throughout the oven naturally.
Great for single-shelf cooking such as roasting meat, or cooking pastries, scones and cakes.
Fan with lower heat
- This symbol features a fan at the top with a single horizontal line below it. It indicates that heat is produced at the base and circulated around by the fan.
Great for keeping the top of the dish moist while the bottom is cooked nicely; particularly good for crispy pizzas and baking pastry on pies and quiches.
- This symbol displays a fan with a circle around it. This shows that heat comes from the circular element and the fan circulates that heat around the oven.
Great for most types of cooking and baking, particularly if you’re using more than one shelf.
- This symbol shows a double zigzag line at the top of the square. It means that heat is produced at the top of the oven. Depending on the type of grill, sometimes the door must be left open or closed, it is always necessary to check the manual.
Great for making sure food is crisped or browned evenly. Also perfect for anything that sizzles such as sausages and bacon.
- This symbol has only one zigzag line at the top of the square. It means that only one part of the grill element gets hot so it’s crucial to make sure food is placed directly under that part of the grill.
Great for cooking sausages, cheese on toast and bacon or for the last few minutes of a cooked dish that has been topped with cheese or breadcrumbs that need to be browned.
Contact Cooker Solutions
At Cooker Solutions we are well-versed in fixing cooker faults. We operate across South London, covering areas like Wimbledon and Clapham and we would be delighted to take a look at and fix your cooker. We offer flexible call-out times at no extra cost, meaning that you can schedule us in whenever is best for you! Give us a call today on 0203 478 0883 or fill out our contact form.